Not everything I make needs to take hours. If you need a quick pie, that really is (mostly) homemade, here’s a great one. Best of all, it’s done in about 45 minutes.
Mocha Cream Cheese Pie (adapted from a recipe on Cooks.com)
2 – 8oz blocks cream cheese, softened/room temp
.5 cup sugar
.5 tablespoon of vanilla
4 oz of semi-sweet chocolate (chocolate chips or broken chocolate bar, such as Ghirardelli’s baking bars)
3 tablespoons strong coffee
1 Chocolate Cookie Crust (I used Oreo, of course)
Whipped topping and chocolate chips for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prep the 3 tablespoons strong coffee. I think the instant coffee packets are SUPER convenient, because you can mix them with half the water to make it extra strong, and they mix fine with just hot tap water. Too easy!
- In a small bowl, combine the chocolate chips (or broken pieces of chocolate) with 3 tablespoons of coffee. Microwave to melt (if your microwave has a “melt” setting), otherwise use no more than 50% power to melt. (Note: you can also use the double-boiler method, but I was all about “quickness” in this recipe). Pouring the hot coffee over the chocolate helps start the melting process, but stop and mix halfway through to make sure it doesn’t burn!
- Set melted coffee/chocolate aside. Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar until well blended.
- Mix in, at medium speed, eggs and vanilla until smooth
- Add the melted coffee/chocolate mix and beat just until blended
- Pour into the cookie crust, and smooth to an even layer
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes
That’s it! Cool on a wire rack then store in the refrigerator. Serve chilled, with whipped topping and chocolate chip garnish.
This recipe is considered a hit in my book, as my husband actually said “it’s really, really good”.